Tpr David O’Mahoney

Tpr David O’Mahoney

Tpr David O’Mahoney had been serving with the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment at Hyde Park Barracks for nearly two years, riding on a number of highly prestigious parades. On the evening of 7 Oct 2011, when walking back from the Royal Albert Hall with members of the Blue and Royal Squadron, David was hit by a taxi when crossing the road. The taxi, which was travelling at over 30mph, drove over him and had to reverse back to allow members of the Squadron to give first aid. David’s Squadron Corporal Major and Troop Corporal of Horse used their military training to control his C-Spinal injuries and stem the bleeding from his head.

Minutes after the accident he stopped breathing. An SAS doctor arrived and resuscitated him. Shortly after this an ambulance arrived. The paramedics stated that without the first aid he was given straight after the accident Tpr O’Mahoney would have died.

David was then in a comma (Glasgow scale 3) for just under three weeks on a breathing ventilator due to catastrophic head trauma.

Doctors told his family that he was not expected to survive and if he did he was expected to be in a vegetative state. Friends and family were told to say their goodbyes as David was wheeled into surgery after three weeks. Doctors operated to relieve the pressure in Tpr O’Mahoney’s head. Maj Twumasi Ankrah, the Blue and Royal Squadron leader, was at the hospital at this crucial moment and he corralled the morale of David’s family as he would have his men in Afghanistan (where he is now).

After the surgery David’s family were told he responded well to the operation but that he would still be severely brain damaged and disabled and fully reliant on others for the rest of his life.

During this trial Corporal of Horse Young, the Welfare NCO, and Maj TA worked tirelessly to provide support, accommodation and transport for Tpr O’Mahoney’s family. This money came from the Household Cavalry Foundation.

Three days after the operation Tpr O’Mahoney was brought out of the comma and regained consciousness. It then took two and a half weeks for him to regain the powers of speech and lucidity. His head, as evident in the photo, was deformed by the operation, but this is to be fixed in March. He moved to Hedley court a week later and spent nine weeks recovering there. After discharge on 22 December 11 he enjoyed Christmas with his family. By January David was already begging his superiors and doctors to let him come back to work. He got his wish at the start of February when he was allowed to work for two days a week under supervision.

Tpr O’Mahoney said: “The support provided by the Regiment was amazing. If it wasn’t for the Regiment and the help provided by the Foundation, I don’t know what my family would have done. It was such a difficult time for everyone but the Regiment ensured that my family only had to think about my recovery.” As a token of thanks to the Regiment and the Foundation, Tpr O’Mahoney, with the help of his sister, held his own charity event at the start of February and raised £4000 for the Foundation.